This Zucchini Herb Casserole is a favorite recipe of ours. It’s a fast and easy side dish for any meal. It’s perfect for summertime when your garden is overflowing with zucchini, or for when you become the victim of a gardener who continues to give you their extra zucchini.
To make this recipe even easier for those extra busy summer nights, I always keep a few bags of cooked rice in the freezer for recipes like this. Canned tomatoes work in place of fresh tomatoes to help you skip the chopping! I can pull this recipe together in about 10 minutes and have it in the oven while I grill up some chicken or make burgers.
The whole family really enjoys this recipe and I’ve been asked for it several times, which is why it made the cut to be featured on the blog. I hope you find this recipe delicious and try it out soon!
Zucchini side dish
Zucchinis are a super inexpensive and nutrient-rich vegetable that make them the perfect addition to your meal plans! This recipe is great for a barbecue and goes perfect with grilled chicken, beef roast, pulled pork sandwiches, and burgers. I love that I can make it the night before and just warm it up before dinner. It mixes both your veggies and carbohydrates so it makes the perfect side dish.
Make it a Main Dish!
Looking for an easy way to make this side dish a complete meal? Just add in some sliced-up smoked sausage before you bake and voila! you have a quick and easy one-dish meal. You could also add in some cooked chicken, even shrimp or salmon would be amazing in this casserole! I love finding a versatile recipe that we can make several different ways!
Zucchini Herb Casserole Recipe
Zucchini Herb Casserole
- ⅓ cup uncooked long grain white rice
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 TBS vegetable oil
- 1½ pounds zucchini cubed or shredded – I’ve used a mix of shredded & cubed and it came out great!
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 – 2 cloves of garlic minced (depending on your love of garlic!)
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1½ cups seeded chopped tomatoes or one can diced tomatoes – drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese divided
- Prepare the rice on the stovetop.
- Placing the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a shallow 1½ quart casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano.
- Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese.
- Continue to cook and stir until heated through.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.