When I need a quick and easy dinner I always turn to my Sausage and Lentil recipe. This one-pan meal is a family favorite even our 2 picky eaters love it. With a simple ingredient list, I hope you’ll love this Sausage, Lentil, and Rice Skillet too.
What makes the Sausage Lentil Skillet Recipe a quick and easy dinner?
When I’m trying new recipes I like to make sure that the meals are easy to make, have very few ingredients and if I can make it in one pan, that’s a bonus. This meal meets all of those requirements! This was also one of the first lentil recipes we tried as a family and I was surprised that our whole favorite loved it! This recipe calls for Italian sausage but you can mix it up by adding hot sausage, sage sausage or even ground beef or turkey. We always love to top ours with diced fresh tomatoes and cheese.
I’ve shared this recipe with almost all of my friends and to this day they send me messages letting me know that they still make it often and love it. I hope you enjoy this meal, it’s the perfect weekday dinner to add to your meal plan.
Sausage, Lentil and Rice Skillet Recipe
Sausage, Lentil and Rice Skillet
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 2/3 cups chicken broth
- Shredded Mozarella or Monterey Jack Cheese
- Salsa or diced fresh tomatoes
- In a large saucepan brown the sausage until it is cooked through.
- Add onion and green pepper, and saute until the onions are cooked.
- Stir in the lentils, rice and chicken broth.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- We like to serve these with monterey jack cheese and fresh diced tomatoes or salsa