Brunch is by far my favorite meal of the day. I love it so much that we opted for brunch at our wedding. There just something about warm scones, eggs, and bacon for breakfast. I was introduced to these blueberry scones while in Ireland too. My friend whipped up a huge batch for a group and we devoured them. They were not-too-sweet and just perfect!
Scones may seem a bit intimidating, but they are really easy once you get the hang of it. One of my friends got married this year and I was putting together the bridal shower menu. I knew I had to make scones! I picked up some fresh blueberries and got to work…
Ingredients for Blueberry Scones
- Flour – I use regular everyday flour but you can use half whole wheat flour and regular flour.
- Sugar – Regular white flour works well.
- Butter – Cold is best!
- Blueberries – Fresh or frozen both work great.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Baking powder
Not a blueberry fan? You can make these scones with or without the berries of your choice!
Tips for making Blueberry Scones:
- Parchment paper is your friend. It is inexpensive, disposable and grease and water-resistant.
- Always mix your dry ingredients together first.
- Use COLD butter and cut the butter into small pieces. This will make it easier to blend into the flour mixture.
- If you don’t want to hand mix the flour and butter you can use your food processor to pulse the mixture.
- Use room temperature eggs every time you bake.
- Do not to over mix this will create tough dense scones.
- Be sure to use a lightly floured surface. If you use too much flour your scones will become heavy and dry.
- Don’t overwork your dough when you kneed it.
- Your dough circle should be about 6-7 inches.
- I like to sprinkle raw sugar on top for a nice crunchy texture.
This blueberry scones recipe is perfect for your weekend brunch.
- 4 Cups flour
- ½ Cup sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅔ Cup cold butter (I used salted but unsalted is best)
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream
- ⅛ cup raw sugar
- 1½ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line your baking sheet with a foil or parchment paper.
Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt).
Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until it looks like crumbs. You can also use your food processor to pulse the mixture.
In a small bowl combine the whipping cream, beaten egg and vanilla.
Add this mixture to dry ingredients
Add the blueberries
Gently stir until just combined. Be sure not to over mix.
Divide your dough in two
Turn one ball of dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead dough gently just a few times. Don't overwork.
Create a small thick circle with the dough, about 1½ inches thick. Your circle should be about 6-7 inches.
Cut this circle into 8 triangular sections. (like a pizza!)
Repeat steps with second ball of dough.
Mix the eggs and heavy cream and brush on top of the scones. I also sprinkle raw sugar on top for a nice crunchy texture.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until light brown.
Once cool sprinkle with powdered sugar if you'd like.