Brunch is by far my favorite meal of the day. I love it so much that we opted for brunch at our wedding. There just something about warm scones, eggs, and bacon for breakfast. I was introduced to these blueberry scones while in Ireland too. My friend whipped up a huge batch for a group and we devoured them. They were not-too-sweet and just perfect!
Scones may seem a bit intimidating, but they are really easy once you get the hang of it. One of my friends got married this year and I was putting together the bridal shower menu. I knew I had to make scones! I picked up some fresh blueberries and got to work…
Ingredients for Blueberry Scones
- Flour – I use regular everyday flour but you can use half whole wheat flour and regular flour.
- Sugar – Regular white flour works well.
- Butter – Cold is best!
- Blueberries – Fresh or frozen both work great.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Baking powder
Not a blueberry fan? You can make these scones with or without the berries of your choice!
Tips for making Blueberry Scones:
- Parchment paper is your friend. It is inexpensive, disposable and grease and water-resistant.
- Always mix your dry ingredients together first.
- Use COLD butter and cut the butter into small pieces. This will make it easier to blend into the flour mixture.
- If you don’t want to hand mix the flour and butter you can use your food processor to pulse the mixture.
- Use room temperature eggs every time you bake.
- Do not to over mix this will create tough dense scones.
- Be sure to use a lightly floured surface. If you use too much flour your scones will become heavy and dry.
- Don’t overwork your dough when you kneed it.
- Your dough circle should be about 6-7 inches.
- I like to sprinkle raw sugar on top for a nice crunchy texture.
- 4 Cups flour
- ½ Cup sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅔ Cup cold butter I used salted but unsalted is best
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream
- ⅛ cup raw sugar
- 1½ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line your baking sheet with a foil or parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until it looks like crumbs. You can also use your food processor to pulse the mixture.
- In a small bowl combine the whipping cream, beaten egg, and vanilla.
- Add this mixture to dry ingredients
- Fold in the blueberries
- Do not to over mix.
- Divide your dough into two balls
- Turn one ball of dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough gently just a few times. Don’t overwork.
- Create a small thick circle with the dough, about 1½ inches thick. Your circle should be about 6-7 inches.
- Cut this circle into 8 triangular sections. (like a pizza!)
- Repeat steps with the second ball of dough.
- Mix the eggs and heavy cream and brush on top of the scones. I also sprinkle raw sugar on top for a nice crunchy texture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until light brown.
- Once cool sprinkle with powdered sugar if you’d like.