It has been 6 weeks since I have shampooed my hair!
I have long thick hair that takes forever to dry. I had been really frustrated with my “blah” hair and itchy scalp. I had little bumps that would appear at the nape of my neck and drive me crazy. I had a sneaking suspicion that my shampoo and conditioner were the culprits. So I switched… again… and again…. and again… trying new shampoos and found no relief.
Finally, I decided to stop shampooing cold turkey and try out the “no poo” hair washing method.
I grabbed a squeeze bottle filled it with 1 cup of water and added 1 Tablespoon of baking soda. I shook up the bottle and squeezed it onto my scalp. I used quite a bit the first few times, saturating my scalp then massage it really well. I’m not lying when I tell you that I could FEEL the oil washing out of my hair.
As a substitute for conditioner, I grabbed a second bottle added 1 cup of water and 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. – do not worry your hair will NOT smell like vinegar at all!
I pour this over the middle and ends of my hair – intentionally avoiding my scalp. Because my hair is so long I used a wide-tooth comb right after I add the vinegar mixture to my hair. This helps with the tangles. I rinsed the vinegar mixture out of my hair and voila! Squeaky clean hair!
5 Reasons I love cleaning my hair with Baking Soda and Vinegar:
- Super duper clean hair and soft – it nearly squeaks!
- Less frizz = fewer products
- Cheap hair care
- Newfound CURLS!!
- No more crazy hair loss— Previously I would have a huge wad of hair in the shower when I was finished shampooing and conditioning my hair. Gross, I know!! I could run my hands through my hair and have a good handful of hair. I truly believe that something in the products I was using was causing me to lose so much hair.
After 4 Weeks of Using Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar to Wash My Hair
After 4 weeks my hair was already so soft. My scalp was super healthy, I believe thanks to the apple cider vinegar. Within 2 washes the bumpy itchy spots on my scalp are gone and my hair is super soft!
After 6 Weeks of Using Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar to Wash My Hair
The picture below is after 6 weeks of washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. This is with NO products and my hair was air-dried!
I wish I had taken a good “before” photo but I think you can see a bit of the difference. My hair has always had a bit of a wave to it but now I can scrunch it up and have really nice curls. I can still blow dry it straight easily but it’s nice to have the option to let my hair just air dry.
My Honest Review of Washing my Hair with Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar after 6 Weeks
- I loved the results and feel like doing this really stripped my hair of the waxes that other shampoos have left on my hair.
- My scalp healthy was amazing. It was no longer dry or itchy – even the irritated spots dissapeared after just 2 washes!
- Baking soda is harsh. I don’t think I would recommend this for long-term use.
- I recommend trying this for 3-5 days a month, max.
- Commit to trying this for 3-5 washes in a row. I don’t think you will see all of the benefits after just one wash.
- Everyone’s hair will react differently, just because I loved it doesn’t mean your hair will like it too. Pay attention to your scalp health and hair, if you notice any negative changes, stop immediatly.