Summer is just 62 days away!
and all the work-at-home moms start freaking out!
In just a few weeks our children will be out of school and my work-at-home schedule will need a BIG overhaul. I love summer and I love spending time with our children going on adventures and making memories, but this year will look different. I have doubled my client load and work about 20-30 hours a week. Finding ways to entertain the children is our own backyard a top priority for me!
We’re lucky enough to live in a great neighborhood where our children can and do play outside for hours happily. The neighbors are wonderful and share values and expectations that we have. For the most part all of our children play well together. We came back from living overseas with only 2 soccer balls for the children to play with. I’ve been brainstorming outdoor toy ideas and want to share some of the best summer toys for outside fun that I’ve found.
12 Toys for Summer Fun in Your Own Backyard
- Scooters – These have to be the most-used gift our children have ever received. They love their scooters! We had them when we were in Ireland and they even traveled home with us. They are super easy to transport in the back of the car, we take them nearly everywhere with us in the summer!
- Frisbee Golf – This looks like so much fun! I remember years working at summer camp and one of the activities was Frisbee Golf, the kids just loved it. This would be a great activity for the whole neighborhood.
- Kites – Our children just love flying kites. I have fond memories at the beach flying my dad’s trick kite for hours. Perfect for that breezy afternoon!
- Bocce Ball – We taught our kids how to play bocce ball a few years ago and they really caught on fast. It’s a fun game to teach to the neighbor kids and let them play! It’s a fun game that we can play with the kids on the weekend as well.
- Jumbo Checkers – These jumbo Checkers look like so much fun! Make a typical kids game even more exciting with a giant board and jumbo pieces.
- Make a giant Chalkboard – This is one of those projects that I’ve wanted to do for years! I think this is the perfect project if you have toddlers too, especially if you don’t have a safe driveway or sidewalk for your children to draw on.
- Jumbo Bowling Set – Another JUMBO game! How fun! I could see our kids having so much fun with this too!
- Chalk – You can never have too much sidewalk chalk!
- Velcro Catch Set – We have a set of these and the kids love it. It’s cheap and can help your little ones practice throwing in a fun way.
- Balls – Footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, small and big bouncy balls. There are endless games to entertain your kids! The super jumbo balls are a hit with our kids too!
- Cones – I’ll bet my son could think of a thousand ways to use traffic cones for play. He can create soccer goals, obstacle courses, bike courses or use them like a megaphone, which is what I always did them them when I was a kid. There also great for setting up boundaries for where your children can play or blocking the end of the driveway.
- Slip and slide – Now I have to confess that our children have not yet experienced a slip and side but I think this is the year that will have to change. I like this set because it allows 2 kids to race down the track!
So, work-at-home mamas, FEAR NOT! We can do this! We can get through summer!
It will just take a little extra planning and lots of activities ready for the kids. Stocking up on some really good toys for your kids to play with outside this summer isn’t a bad idea either!
What’s your plan? How will you survive summer?