So as many of you know, Donna has been away at a conference this week. She has asked me, her sister, to fill in for her while she is out (she’s so brave). I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my time here on Hey, Donna! than to tell you a little bit about the woman behind the madness.
Although Donna is younger than me, she pretty much did everything before I did. She dated before me, drove before me, traveled before me (well, I haven’t really traveled at all so…..), was married before me and had her first child before me. I even think she knew who she really was long before I did.
So who IS Donna, really?
Well, that’s a bit of a complex question. Aside from being a mom, wife, daughter, and sister, you guys know her as an amazing blogger. Here’s some stuff maybe you didn’t know about her:
- She plays the guitar. Yep. Not sure she finds the time anymore to play (although I know she would love to), but I “fondly” recall a period in time where the only…ONLY…song she knew how to play was “Sweet Home Alabama”; and I don’t mean the whole entire song, just the chorus. Over and over and over and over and…..well, you get the point. It’s funny how, at one point, I thought of doing terrible things to that guitar and now I actually kind of miss hearing her play it.
- She has traveled. She has been to Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Ireland, and Italy. Some of her travels were with YWAM (Youth With A Mission) where she and dozens of her peers volunteered and provided outreach, sharing the joy and gospel of Jesus while also caring for those in need. To this day, I think that these times in her life was the most “Donna” she had ever been. Living her life with no expectations, no insecurities, and no apologies.
- Donna is ambitious. I was going to say stubborn but that isn’t quite accurate. Once she gets an idea in her head, look out! She is persistent and a visionary. Her head is full of ideas all the time. I lovingly call her Martha Spewart (nope, I didn’t mis-spell Stewart, I was just never a big Martha fan). Still, she is a creative genius as far as I’m concerned (my sister, not Martha).
- She is funny and sarcastic. Ok, so if you follow her blog you probably already figured this out. It’s a trait all of her family members possess. So, in case you DIDN’T know, you’ve been warned.
- She can bake. Well. Really well. She is a dangerous person to be around when she gets a hold of her Kitchen Aid mixer. Wear stretchy pants if you plan to indulge. I’m serious. Good stuff.
- She lives too far away from her sister. She’s in PA. I’m in CT that’s a 5 hour trip for visits. She shouldn’t be so far away. Just saying.
Truth is, I love and miss her dearly and wish we could be together more often, and, although I’d like to have her closer, I’m so proud of all of her accomplishments. Plus, if I kept her all to myself, no one else would know how wonderful she is. And that’s just not fair to everyone else.